Please join us at National City Christian Church this Friday, February 17, at 12:15 p.m., for our free weekly Music at Midday. This week we are delighted to be welcoming organist Andrew Johnson from Baltimore, Maryland.
In observance of Black History Month, this week’s concert begins with works of African composers Ralph Simpson and George Walker, then continues with music by Felix Mendelssohn, William Bolcom, and Louis Vierne:
- King of Kings – arr. Ralph Simpson
- Three Pieces for Organ (I. Elevation; II. Liebster Jesu, wir sind hier) – George Walker
- Prelude and Fugue in C minor, Op. 37, No. 1 – Felix Mendelssohn
- Gospel Preludes, Book 2 (IV. Jesus Loves Me) – William Bolcom
- Symphonie V, Op. 47 (V. Final) – Louis Vierne
Andrew Johnson holds the Master of Music in organ performance from the Peabody Conservatory of the Johns Hopkins University. He is currently pursuing Peabody’s Graduate Performance Diploma. He serves as organist and choirmaster at Mount Calvary Catholic Church in Baltimore, Maryland, home to the historic Andover-Flentrop pipe organ. His research has been published in The American Organist magazine and he recently earned second place in the Fourth National Sursa American Organ Competition.
For those who are not able to join us in person, we will be recording the concert and will post it on the church’s YouTube channel and Facebook page.